November 12, 2017

Hey! Pikmin demo

Date played: November 11th
Platform: 3DS

I've always loved Pikmin. I thought the time limit was too harsh in the first two games, but Pikmin 3 was a real gem of a game. When I first heard of this weird 2D spin off on 3DS called Hey! Pikmin, I had high hopes, but the reviews were poor.

I decided to try the demo and see for myself, but unfortunately, Pikmin just isn't as much fun in 2D. The demo had 3 levels; a tutorial, an early level and a more advanced level. The idea is to control Olimar with the stylus on the touch screen, throwing Pikmin at things to solve puzzles or fight battles. It works well enough, but it's a little too simple for my tastes, even the more advanced level.
I wish this game was better...
I got to play with red and rock Pikmin. Red are good at combat, while rock can destroy objects like crystals or armor. Olimar is stranded on a planet and must recover energy to power his ship. This means collecting special items like golden seeds or metallic objects, such as a yo-yo or a harmonica. It's just that the levels are too simple. There's not much to discover and it's all really straight forward. In the real Pikmin games, you have to manage resources, send Pikmin across the map to recover fruit and stuff, but here, it's all contained within a single screen.

Plus, the graphics are kind of awful, at least compared to other high profile games on 3DS like Samus Returns. The framerate is rough and there's no 3D. I wish this game was better, but it seems like 2D is the wrong approach for this adorable franchise.