November 3, 2017

Super Mario Odyssey

Date played: November 2nd
Platform: Switch

Though I didn't have that much time to play last night, I still managed to go through the initial objectives of the Wooden Kingdom. The dark and dangerous forest is filled with dangers, including a rampaging T-Rex and some pesky Piranha plants. It's also littered with secrets, special coins and power moons, so I had lots to do!

I fell down a hole, which led me to the Deep Woods. That's where the dinosaur is roaming. I found a few new enemies to control, such as a vanishing coin purse that shoots coins. The thing is useful because it can break rock blocks. Another gives me the ability to stretch my legs way high up in the air to reach new areas. This one was used in many puzzles in the level, and I'm sure I'll have more uses for the little critter. Finally, I was able to control the infamous fire bros. These little guys are very powerful and can defeat enemies with ease. They can also jump pretty high.
Fire Bros are fun to control!

The whole level was a ton of fun. There was a boss battle against one of the wedding planner bunnies hired by Bowser. It was really hard for me because it required constant use of the spin move with Cappy, which is hard to pull off quickly with the Pro Controller. I might give the dual Joy-Con setup a try soon.

I still have many things to discover in this Kingdom, but I've now unlocked the next level, the Lake Kingdom. I've decided instead to go back to the first level, Cap Kingdom. There's a ton of new things to do here, even though the level isn't any bigger than before. I found a few power moons by possessing frogs, but also by just exploring a bit. I didn't do much yet, but since it's a small level, it seems more easily achievable to get 100% on it.