November 6, 2017

Super Mario Odyssey

Date played: November 5th
Platform: Switch

Super Mario Odyssey just keeps being amazing. I just can't say enough good things about it...
There's still a ton of stuff to find in the Sand Kingdom
I spent lots of time in the Sand Kingdom, dicking around, finding power moons. My favorite was one that I got by making a badass long jump from the top of the inverted pyramid (now floating high in the air) to the top of a narrow pillar, host to a power moon. I also had a great time finding a couple of nuts scattered in the level to then plant them in the village.

My daughter joined me sometime in there and wanted to see the next world. This led us to an impromptu battle against Bowser himself! He's got a giant airship, all decked out in wedding decorations, and is bringing Peach with him. So of course, we had a battle atop the clouds!

This whole battle was really well done with very good animation. I had to hit Bowser's hat with my own, then wear it to attack the big beast. The hat is equipped with a pair of powerful boxing gloves, so I avoided Bowser's attacks and pummeled him into a fence a few times. At the end of the battle, Mario falls down the clouds and Bowser gets away with Peach...

That's where I found the Lost Kingdom. This was one of my favorite worlds so far. It's got a unique visual style and feels truly like it's lost, as if I was in the wrong game in a few ways. Still, it's a solid platforming levels with plenty of challenging things to do. The most iconic element of the level are the colorful caterpillar creatures that I can possess with my hat. These guys stretch out horizontally and can bend a lot, making for some fun platforming challenges.
I loved the Lost Kingdom!

I got out of there after getting enough moons to fix our ship, then went to the next Kingdom, the Lake Kingdom. This place was my daughter's favorite. There's mermaids, coral, schools of fish, giant jellyfish houses and even a Dorrie, the friendly Lochness monster thing from Super Mario 64! I fought the bridal party here, an easy fight where I had to float down onto the head of the boss. I can't wait to come back and explore this kingdom, there was lots of cool stuff to do, like capture fish to go deeper into water.

We really wanted to check out the next world, the Metro Kingdom. This has to be the weirdest fucking level in a Mario game ever... It has real humans, or at least, real looking humans. These are the only humans in a main Mario game ever, at least I think so. Plus, there's like, real buildings and streets and cars and stuff. It's fucked up.
New Donk City
Thankfully, it's not realistic enough not to feel like Mario. This is still all about jumping around, and it works really well being set on skyscraper. I even got to possess some tanks and use their powerful cannons to kill enemies! After many platforming sections, I reached a boss, a giant mechanical centipede of sorts. I had to use the tank to shoot at it, avoiding it's attacks at the same time. I seriously can't get enough of this fucking game...