November 4, 2017

Super Mario Odyssey

Date played: November 3rd
Platform: Switch

Well, I spent a lot of time going back to the first two Kingdoms and getting every power moon and purple coin I could find. The Cap Kingdom was surprisingly long to explore, and I couldn't even find every purple coin! I spent a lot of time here, most of it possessing some flying Goombas. These guys are all over the foggy areas outside the main village and allow for exploration in the previously deadly fog.

There's also a number of "interior" levels that were now available here, including an incredible platforming challenge that was super fun. I had to make a series of well timed jumps over a bottomless pit on and off platforms that retract and push out from the walls. The timing was pretty tight and it felt like the parts of Mario games that I enjoy the most. It just felt great, even though it was difficult. I even had to ride the power lines and jump on to pass safely at times.

I was pleasantly surprised to run into one of my favorite Nintendo characters, Captain Toad. This little guy stays true to his exploratory nature and finds ways to reach the coolest places. Finding him rewards me with a power moon, but more importantly, it also graces me with the wise words of the master Explorer that is Captain Toad.

Cascade Kingdom also had many new moons to find, but it was actually a bit easier than the first world. In fact, I was able to get every purple coin here! There were some really cool puzzles in one of the areas. I had to knock some Chain Chomps into each other to hit a distant target. This meant having to properly aim, kind of like playing pool.

I also returned to the Sand Kingdom, where I didn't do that much except get a few stray power moons. I then went to the mission marker down into a giant hole under the inverted pyramid. That's where I fought a giant boss, a statue with two rocket powered fists. I had to avoid it's attacks while guiding the arms to hit patches of ice, then possessing it to hit the boss in the face with his own fist!

The Sand Kingdom was returned to normal, removing most of the ice that disrupted the lives of the citizens. This opens up a ton of new stuff to do in the Sand Kingdom. Lakitu is fishing at the oasis, residents are back to their normal lives and I have a bunch of new moons to find.

I then went to the Wooded Kingdom to continue with the second portion of the story mission. I quickly got side-tracked by some secret rooms. There were lots of new things to find of course, but I spent most of my time in the depths of a secret room. This one was great because I had to solve a sort of puzzle by possessing some Bullet Bills and some Goombas. The Bullet Bill portion was easy, but the Goomba part was a little nuts.

I basically had to make a giant stack of Goombas to reach very high areas, all while avoiding dangerous explosions that went off at a regular interval. It was silly and very fun! As you can see from this post, I also had a lot of fun simply taking cool pictures with the photo mode. I'm starting to get a hang of it and it's a lot more flexible than it first appeared. I love absolutely everything about Super Mario Odyssey!