November 5, 2017

Gran Turismo Sport

Date played: November 4th
Platform: PS4

I felt like racing last night, so I played a few Sport races. It's been a little while since I last played, so there were some new races here, including a track I had never tried, Alsace. This was a single car event, with everyone riding a lower tier Audi TT. This meant an even playing field, which I also realize means that desperate assholes like to ram into others instead of trying to race properly.

My initial qualifying time was all right, but not good enough. My first race placed me 7th on a grid of 12 and while I completed the race in 9th place, mainly due to people who like to play bumper cars. So at some point in the last couple of weeks, I had a race where another guy was mercilessly trying to just ram into every other racer. This single race dropped my sportsmanship rating down "E", the worst ranking.

Pushing my Audi TT through the dangerous crowd
Now, I'm a real racer. I try my best to race clean, avoid contact, follow my racing line and allow people to pass me when they have the speed or angle. I don't fight by bumping other cars. However, since my ranking went down, I am paired with other drivers with a bad sportsmanship rating. This means I am swimming in a sea of bad drivers, particularly those with bad qualifying times. This also means lots of aggressive drivers that like to use contact as a racing technique. Honestly, I haven't seen one guy do this well, they all end up in the wall at some point.

There's a few other guys in the same boat as me though. Good drivers who are stuck with a bad rating. This was obvious in one of the later races... I managed to cut 3 seconds off my qualifying time, putting me in the top 3 or 4 in each event. I even had one pole position with that time! One guy in particular, "I_wet_beds_daily", was one of the worst fucking racers I've ever seen. The worst part is, he's actually pretty good at driving. He had a solid qualifying time, was keeping a clean line when he was alone, he should have been fine. However, this person seemed convinced that whenever there was another car in the vicinity, his duty is to hit it. From behind, from the side, or even cutting across the entire fucking track to bump another player. Fuck you "I_wet_beds_daily", you should be playing Mario Kart.

The last race I played was the most fun. I started in pole position, but fucked up on one of the trickier corners. I didn't go off track or anything, but my line was fucked so I was passed by two other drivers. What was great about this race is that I didn't have to deal with the bumper car assholes for the whole race. The other two guys were racing clean and it was just so much fun. Even though I dropped from 1st to 3rd, it felt like a real race, as opposed to the demolition derby I had been used to the rest of the evening.

Thankfully, this race was clean enough that my sportsmanship rating went up to "D", so I have to just keep my head down and keep racing clean and I'll be back to normal in no time.