November 28, 2017

3DS demo marathon

Date played: November 26th
Platform: 3DS

I recently went through a very long travelling experience, which included a 10 hour flight, a 14 hour flight and a 90 minute flight in the span of 30 hours. I had a lot of time to kill. I didn't play a lot of video games, but I managed to play through 4 demos on 3DS.

CABIN UPDATE: I'm on a flight from Qatar to Philadelphia, it's been about 8 hours. I had a meal earlier, I got a bit of sleep, I read a book and people were still mostly sleeping. I pulled out my 3DS, this flight being the most comfortable of my trip. The woman next to me is sleeping, I put on my headphones and I boot up a demo.

This game sucks
The first was Witch & Hero II. I was excited about this one because it looks like a really old school action RPG. Unfortunately, despite the adorable art style and fun characters, the game is really fucking boring to me. The idea is to control two characters at once via and overhead view of a small combat arena. The witch can cast spells, but is physically weak, while the hero can fight monsters and earn "mana" for the witch. The hero is controlled by moving the d-pad, while the witch is controlled with the face buttons. While the idea is cool here, the actual game is awful. You move around a small arena at a snail's pace, and combat is terrible. I hated it.

CABIN UPDATE: Nothing much to report, we're flying over Iceland or Greenland at this point, I'm not so sure. There aren't any lights on the ground, nothing like when I flew over India. My neighbors are still sound asleep for the most part, with a few watching movies.

SUPER SAYAN! (I couldn't land it)
Next, I booted up a Dragon Ball fighting game demo, Hyper Dragon Ball Z. This is actually a pretty great fighting game, considering it's on a mobile device. Unfortunately, this is still a fighting game on a 3DS, that's bad. I makes a pretty great demo to play on a plane though, as I could just learn the few characters available for a bit, fighting against AI.

I loved playing as both Vegeta and Goku! The moves are cool, the game is fast and it's very well animated. Now that I think about it, I think I like this game quite a lot... Still, buying it is kinda dumb because the 3DS is uncomfortable to hold for these types of games. Too bad I guess.

CABIN UPDATE: The woman next to me is and old lady. She doesn't speak English or Arabic, she usually uses a wheelchair, and she has an adorable little piece of paper with some translations from her language. "I am going to Philadelphia USA." "Can I have some water please?" "I need a wheelchair please." She's been very nice and polite with me, as I have with her. We smile at each other on occasion, though we can't speak. She tries to go back to sleep.

3rd up was the best of the bunch, a short, but completely amazing demo of a little known Nintendo game, Rhythm Heaven Megamix. This game is totally insane, just like the Warioware games. It makes no sense, yet it's pure fun! This is a rhythm game, as it's title implies. It's not based on music though, it's based on quick mini-games, most are less than 30 seconds long.
I LOVE THIS GAME OMGGGGGG!
I juggled fruit at the bottom of a staircase, I pulled facial hair out of an onion's face, I chopped wood as a buff lumberjack and even made photogenic poses as a Japanese wrestler during an interview! It's truly crazy, very fast paced, and tons of fun!

CABIN UPDATE: I think we're over the ocean now, heading towards Labrador. I see clouds outside, so I shut the window pane. Some people are starting to wake up a bit, going to the washroom. Airplane washrooms are so efficient, it's kind of crazy. They are tiny, yet you always have enough room to do what you have to do. This airline offered really good service overall too. I look at the people walking by, but nothing of particular interest happens. I turn back to my 3DS.
Choppin' up some rabbits in 7th Dragon Thingy Patente The Third

Last, but not least, I played a VERY Japanese RPG. Way too much for me...  7th Dragon III Code: VFD offers an hour long demo. The story is non sense about dragons that eat people. I played a giant tutorial dungeon where I fought many monsters in random encounters, gathered a few treasure boxes and saved at save points before bosses. This is as classic as it gets. It's truly the most average thing I've ever played. I already don't remember the game's name! Wait let me scroll up. Right, 7th Dragon 3 VFD WTF.

CABIN UPDATE: After this long demo, I put the 3DS down and look at the screen embedded in the seat in front of mine. It shows that we're about to enter Quebec, where I'll cross the St-Lawrence river between Sept-Iles and Matane, south towards Philly. I open the window pane and start to see a glow of sunshine in the distance. We're catching up to dawn. I put away my 3DS and try to rest a bit more before breakfast is served.