November 18, 2017

Project Octopath Traveler demo

Date played: November 17th
Platform: Switch

Having recently played Olberic's opening chapter, I wanted to see how the other character, Primrose, played, so I started a new game and learned a lot about the mysterious dancer. Primrose is an exotic dancer/sex slave in a large desert town. Her backstory was really interesting...

When she was a child, her father was killed by three men, each with a tattoo of a crow as Primrose watched from a hiding place. She vowed to dedicate her life to avenging her father. As she grew into a young woman, she managed to learn that one of the men with the crow tattoo occasionally passed through the desert town, so she went there and got a job as a dancer, waiting for the man to appear.

Years passed. The dancers were "owned" by an evil man who made them work tirelessly to bring in customers to the dance shows and very clearly, a part of this was to whore themselves out to customers. Primrose was the master's favorite and it was quickly obvious that he slept with her on a regular basis, against her will.

The other dancers despise Primrose for this, since she gets all the favors. All except for one, Primrose's only friend. The heroine is very stoic, the strong silent type. She bites her tongue and obeys her master until she can fulfill her life's purpose of avenging her father's death. That's where the demo begins.

I explored the town a little bit, learning about it and it's residents. Then, during one of the shows, Primrose finally spots the man with the tattoo! He friend distracts the master while Primrose exits the building from the rooftop, chasing the man.

Primrose's main ability is to charm townspeople into following her and helping her in battle. I found an old man that was proficient with daggers and had a high level, charmed him, and went down into the depths of a secret escape tunnel that leads into the open desert. She has a dagger and some very powerful, cool looking "darkness" magic attacks.

I fought dozens of wild beasts and enemies with the old man's help. I quickly found the exit where I was confronted with the master from the city... My friend distracted him, but when he figured out I was gone, he tortured her for information until she cracked and revealed my plans. Then, cruelly, he slit her throat right then and there!
Primrose is about to finally confront her master

Shocked, Primrose finally takes a stand against the master and basically tells him to go fuck himself. "Go pleasure yourself!" she shouts. Of course, this led to a big boss battle. I think there's some grinding required in this game because when I tried to fight him at level 4, I didn't stand a chance. I reloaded the game and fought random battles for a bit until I was level 8 and was able to afford the best gear. This made a huge difference and I killed him rather easily on my second attempt.

Still, strategy is important. You want to stun enemies, but doing it at the right time is important. Most bigger attacks from bosses require one turn to charge up, so it's important to stun them right before they unleash it. My old man follower was helpful too, damaging the boss pretty heavily.

I am really surprised at how much I enjoyed this demo. The graphics are pleasant and original, the music is particularly great, the stories are engaging and interesting and the combat is lots of fun. I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this game's release in 2018.