February 2, 2013

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Date played: January 31st and February 1st
Platform: PS3
Session fun rating: 9/10

The Temple of trials was a very interesting sort of mini dungeon. It had three sections, the tests of friendship, of wits and or strength. The test of wits was full of simple puzzles revolving around using my spells. The test of friendship was the most interesting, it was actually a lot like a platformer, except that I had to control both characters at the same time. It was quite tricky actually... Last but not least was a cool boss fight against a large Samurai looking guy. After all that, the great sage showed us how to capture familiars.

We then noticed the nearby volcano, Old Smokey, was about to blow! Naturally, we headed out to fix the problem. This is the same dungeon that was in the demo but this time, I had my own familiars and I was comfortable with the combat system so I managed to kill the boss without too much trouble, though I did have to use a revive item on Esther. That bitch is real dumb on the battlefield.
The volcano's boss
I completed a bunch of little side quests. Some of the hunts are as tough as the bosses sometimes, it's kind of crazy really. I actually spent a ton of time just fighting monsters, trying to catch as many as I can.  Right now, my familiars are a mite, monkey, fat bird, fairy, cat and mushroom. The mite deals damage and blocks, the monkey attacks and evades, the bird heals and casts spells (I kind of want to replace him), the fairy heals and casts, the cat attacks and the mushroom heals and casts status ailments. It works but could be better. I also managed to evolve some of my monsters to level 2.

I finally headed to the nearby coastal town to find a boat and meet the other sages. When I got there though, I was given a mystical alchemy pot by a merchant. I was surprised by a difficult fight against the genie that lived inside. Esther died again but I just kept blocking at the right time to get some healing gems and wither him down. I can now mix ingredients in a pot to make new shit... I'll look into that later.