February 10, 2013

Dead Space 3

Date played: February 9th
Platform: PS3
Session fun rating: 10/10

"MOTHERFUCKER!"

Shouts Isaac Clarke as he stomps a necromorph chomping at his ankles.

This is Dead Space 3. I am a HUGE fan of this series and am really happy to be playing the third game. It all started with the animated comics, then Dead Space 1, Dead Space Downfall, Dead Space Extraction, Dead Space Salvage, Dead Space Ignition, Dead Space Aftermath, Dead Space 2, Dead Space Martyr and now, Dead Space 3. There's still some stuff out there that I haven't read, I think at least one book and a couple of graphic novels but let's just say that I am really into this universe.

The game starts 200 years in the past on Tau, an ice planet where I led a young soldier to his brutal death. It's all a bit unclear but basically, he retrieved a data pad that had crucial information on it about a marker. The guy has an assault rifle, a first for the series, and takes down a few necromorphs aboard a crashed ship. After getting the pad, he rappels down a nearby cliff as the ship he was in comes crashing down around him. When he reaches the ground, he is met with his commanding officer who ruthlessly shoots him in the head, deletes the data on the pad and shoots himself in the mouth.

Enter Isaac Clarke. After all the shit he's been through, I'm surprised he hasn't committed suicide yet. Apparently, he is hiding on a lunar base somewhere, drinking his worries away. Soon enough, shit hits the fan. Two guys barge into Isaac's house and ask him to come help destroy some markers around the galaxy, it seems they were sent by Ellie, the girl from Dead Space 2.

It's quickly apparent that Unitology has become more than a church as they have now started military action, taking down most of Earth Gov's forces. Isaac has to shoot his way through the city and reach a shuttle to escape the Unitology army. This part felt like a cyber-punk third person shooter. I was fighting human enemies who were wielding regular ass guns. Thankfully, the game controls so well that fire fights felt natural and were fun to play. Eventually, I reached a train and used kinetic powers to prep it for departure. In a cool shootout sequence, Isaac finally gets off the lunar colony and joins the two dudes on the shuttle.

We warped to the area where Ellie was last seen but the ship got hit by debris and was mostly destroyed so we had to make our way to a nearby ship which was still sending out a distress signal after being disabled for 200 years. This was the first (of many I hope) zero gravity sequences and it felt awesome. We made our way to the derelict ship and rested a bit. Isaac went ahead and explored the ship to restore it's power.
Zero gravity gameplay is better than ever
As expected, the ship was taken over by necromorphs. I shot my way through using my trusty plasma cutter until I found a work bench. Weapon crafting seems like it will be an important part of Dead Space 3. I had a few weapons included in my pre-order which I quickly dismantled to get parts. The system seems cool. I made an upgraded plasma cutter and an assault rifle/line gun combination. I found Ellie and a few other survivors and restored power then stopped playing as I started chapter 4.

The game seems amazing so far. The graphics in particular are really stunning. If all games looked this good, I wouldn't want a new generation of hardware. It also sounds really good, as the first two games did. I'm really excited to see where this game goes and hope it keeps being as good as the first few chapters were.