February 20, 2013

Civilization V

Date played: February 17th and 18th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 10/10

As usual, 15 minutes of Civ V turns into a multi hour epic. I played a game as the Aztecs, led by Montezuma. We took control of our west coast early. I soon had three cities spread out fairly thing. I Built them up a bit then expanded again until I had a full 7 city continent ready to go.

My early set up, right after I destroyed Catherine
My continental rivals were Isabella of Spain and Catherine of Russia. Catherine was feeling that I was expanding too much so she declared war. At that point, she only had her capital of Moscow and a six unit army. It was risky, but I managed to push her off with my trusty Jaguars. I then built a small army of  pikemen and horsemen and took her over completely.

Then came a long, prosperous time for my people. Sebology was created and spread. Wonders were built in Technotitlan and it's surroundings. Workers improved every single space of land. It came to a point where I was clearly in the lead, but had no clear objective in sight. I was close to a culture win, far from a science win. A conquest victory was within reach though, if I was willing to just go all out, which I did.

What followed was the creation of my biggest army yet. I started by taking over a nearby city state, then took over Isabella swiftly. Attacking the remaining players on the other continents was a bigger task. This was probably a 75+ turn battle. 1890-1937 is the approximate length for this takeover, and ultimately, my conquest win. I used units such as Marines, Infantry, Landships, Cruisers, Battleship, Mobile Artillery, Bomber and even a couple of Anti-Tanks. This would have played a lot differently if units had to be carried on ships instead of on their own...

Either way, I won, it was epic and lots of fun as usual.