February 21, 2013

Mega Man Maverick Hunter X

Date played: February 20th
Platform: Vita
Session fun rating: 8/10

Playstation Plus delivers a good game again. This time, it's the PSP remake of Mega Man X. I have played the original when it was new on SNES and absolutely loved it, though my memory of it is sort of faded. I didn't really remember any details such as bosses, levels and weapons.

RIP Chill Penguin
I played through the short intro and met Zero. I also managed to play through the (recommended) first level, Chill Penguin's stage. The graphics and voice acting are the first obvious changes. I like the polygonal look, though honestly, I don't know if I prefer it. There's that special something about 16 bit pixel art that just doesn't translate to 3D. The voice acting is fucking awful though and the cut scenes, while cool, are completely useless for a game like this.

Chill Penguin's stage is not too hard. I made my way through and only had to restart once before reaching the boss. There were a few tricky jumps and tight battles but nothing out of the ordinary. Then I reached Chill Penguin himself. The fight is pretty cool (lol...) and he killed me the first time but as soon as I learned his pattern, he was very easy to kill. I don't think I even got hit on my second attempt. I got the ice shotgun and headed to Spark Mandrill's stage but got my ass beat by the lightning balls that clutter the level. Maybe I'll try another level next time.