February 6, 2013

Fire Emblem: Awakening

Date played: February 5th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 5/10

Well, chapter 3 handed me ass on a silver platter. The group reached the kingdom border and it seems like the border guards didn't believe we were official emissaries so a battle began. I have two new characters too, a large dude that is focused on defense and a little lady who rides a Pegasus. I've also learned how to "pair" units, which essentially boosts one units stats but makes the other unit unplayable.

Hard was too much for me, even Frederick, the super powerful knight, was killed. I decided that for me to enjoy the game, I had to restart on normal. The second time around, it was a lot faster since I skipped all the dialogue. It quickly became clear that this was going to be a lot easier and more manageable. There are fewer enemies and my units take less damage than before. It's still challenging but I can afford a mistake or two and it won't result in the death of a unit. After clearing chapter 3, I was given access to two new areas on the map and to shops.