December 16, 2012

Passive 3D multiplayer

Date played: December 15th
Platform: PS3
Session fun rating: 8/10

I visited my friend who owns a glorious 55" LED passive 3D television. I brought my PS3 over and we tried a few games in 3D as well as killed some time with some 3 on 3 NHL Arcade action. We started with some Wipeout HD. Unfortunately, split screen isn't an option in 3D so we played a race each and swapped controllers. Wipeout HD is easily the best looking game I have played in 3D. The ships pop out, the explosions look amazing and it just plays well. The best part is that the framerate stays stable. As we soon saw with GT5, that makes a big difference. GT5 has pretty bad 3D if you ask me. While it looks good enough, the framerate and Vsync are really distracting. Super Stardust was better but we couldn't manage to get past Phase 2 of the first planet...

This game is a ton of dumb fun
Last but not least, we played 3 on 3 NHL Arcade, a simple, power up filled arcade hockey game. We played three or four games together and a ton of fun shooting at mini goalies, using crazy trick shots and hitting each other like dumb asses.