December 26, 2012

Mark of the Ninja

Date played: December 25th and 26th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 8/10

I finished Mark of the Ninja. The game was totally satisfying, fun and original. It felt fresh throughout and even though it was kind of lengthy for the price, new mechanics kept things interesting. The whole time, I was unlocking new kill moves, distractions items and other ninja tools.

Mark of the Ninja looks and plays great

Later on, there was a large section where the hero is left without his tools and weapons. That means I had to avoid all enemies without being detected and without killing or incapacitating them. It was definitely a fun challenge. There was also a teleport ability that really changed the way I play. That meant I could now teleport to a ledge that was previously unreachable, I could make a noise to attract a guard then teleport behind him for a silent kill and all sorts of other tricks. One of the tactics I've come to love was to shoot enemies from a distance with a dart to attract them, then hiding behind a door, waiting for the guard to come close and to grab him silently through the door. I went through a particular sequence where I was able to take out four guards with a single door. Now THAT'S being a ninja! I didn't pay attention to the story and it seemed really secondary to the mechanics so even though the ending had a cool twist, I didn't give a shit.