December 1, 2012

Paper Mario Sticker Star

Date played: December 1st
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 8/10

I finished Paper Mario Sticker Star today. The last world was really just one level and two boss fights. It turns out Mario's flying friend was Wiggler who has evolved into a butterfly. He gave me a ride to Bowser's fortress in the sky but we got intercepted by Bowser Jr.'s air ship. This turned out to be a really cool level, full of bullet bills and a few new enemies. The puzzles were fun too. The boss fight against Bowser Jr. was cool and fairly easy although I was lucky to have some tail whip stickers in my album.

After taking him down, I headed to the last level, Bowser's fortress. Again, I needed a FAQ. Even then, I almost ran out of stickers since it's such a long fucking fight. He has five phases and he regains his health after each... Either way, after a long, FAQ-assisted battle, I took down. There was a cool twist during the fight that I won't spoil that put a nice spin on the system. Then of course, I took out Bowser, rescued Peach and revived the sticker festival. Last but not least, I watched the expected character parade during the credits.
Mario VS Bowser, Part CXVII....or something.

I have to say, this was a good game and I'm glad I played it. It was funny, pretty and had some really good ideas as well as amazing music, it's just too bad that I had to use FAQ's so often to avoid the tedium of trial and error.