December 11, 2012

Assassin's Creed 3

Date played: December 9th and 10th
Platform: Wii U
Session fun rating: 9/10

Hey, stuff happened in this game. I must have missed some crucial line of dialogue somewhere but I am not playing as Haytham Kenway anymore, I am playing his son, Connor, first as a child, now as a teen. It seems like our friend Haytham had more than a kiss with the Mohawk lady! I also figured out that he was a Templar, not an Assassin, though at this point it makes no real difference I guess.

As a child, Connor played a game of hide and seek with his friends that was a pretty cool mission. It turned sour pretty quickly though when Haytham's old crew showed up and burned the village to the ground, leaving Connor's mother dead in the debris. Years later, he is now a teenager who hunts and gathers for his tribe. The hunting is actually pretty cool. I could set traps and lay out bait for different animals like deer, hare and fox. I even got attacked by a bear though he seems to have run away before I could kill him. Soon after, Connor had a meeting with an elder who gave him a precursor artifact (it looked like the Apple from AC2).
Connor in his teens

One of the weirdest missions so far played out after that where Connor is turned into an eagle and must follow a mysterious lady in an ethereal world. Either way, he now knows that he must find the league of Assassin's and give them their help for him to save his tribe.

I am in the Frontier, a large, mostly undeveloped area. There are view points, side missions, hidden collectibles and even famous explorer Daniel Boone. I spent some time exploring and got attacked by some cougars, bobcats and even elk. I soon turned the hunter into the hunted though. It seems like the game has just started really, even though I've been playing for hours. I can't wait to see how the game progresses, it's a lot of fun so far.