November 23, 2012

Sega Saturn special edition

This magazine ad is ripped right out of my early teens
Date played: November 22nd
Platform: Sega Saturn
Session fun rating: 8/10

I never had a Sega Saturn. I remember reading old issues of Gamepro when I was first in high school and salivating over games like Bug!, Wipeout, Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter and others. While I was working in Montreal, I met up with a friend who sold me his Saturn with Daytona USA, Fighters Megamix, Sega Rally and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 with two controllers.

I played a bit of all the games with my daughter, she seemed to Enjoy Sega Rally the most since she could just hold down the gas on the easiest track be fine! Fighters Megamix seems like a competent that plays a lot like Virtua Fighter. MK3 is just that, another MK game. I was never a big fan. Daytona USA is just as fun as it still is in arcades, even if it looks really old now.

The Saturn seems to be way more competent than the PS1 in terms of 3D rendering. I mean, I was actually impressed at the frame rate in Sega Rally. It feels like 60 FPS (it probably is) and plays beautifully. The hard part about owning a Sega Saturn is finding good games for a decent price. I will start scrounging Ebay for some inexpensive classics!