November 29, 2012

Paper Mario Sticker Star

Date played: November 26th, 27th and 28th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 8/10

Being in Montreal for four days again, I went back to my 3DS and Paper Mario to keep myself busy after work. I played shit ton of this game and I'm probably in the last quarter of the game and about 20 hours in. I played through the entire fourth world, set in a snow world. The enemies are getting stronger and I'm having to use some much stronger stickers, shiny's being the minimum and flashy's being best.

There were some cool levels (no pun intended) including the game's best level so far, a ghost house that seemed loosely based on Luigi's Mansion. This was one of the longest levels and felt more like a real dungeon as opposed to a side scrolling level. Mario had to gather all the Boo's in the house and seal them in a special sticker book. The Boo's were hidden all over the place and unfortunately, I had to resort to a FAQ for two of them that I missed. It was still a ton of fun, I was taking out entire walls and sticking them in other areas to progress. To finish the level, I took on a giant Boo that I beat by blowing out candles with a vacuum and jumping on his head for a while.

The fourth world's boss was pretty fun too, I simply had to use all my fire based attacks and he went down quickly. I also had another encounter with Bowser Jr that was pretty easy to beat. I then headed to the fifth world, a jungle and volcanic world. It's full of Shy Guys with spears, carnivorous plants and Hammer Bros. One of the levels had me chasing three Shy Guys to build a bridge while another had a leisurely ride on a little  raft in a river, avoiding obstacles and collecting coins.

Fuck this raft.
Unfortunately, this also had one of the worst levels in a game; a horrible raft ride while being chased by a giant fish. I had to avoid his attacks by sliding to the right and left of the river. The problem is that if I get hit directly, it's an automatic game over and the attacks are random... So I tried four or five times until I got lucky and got through.