November 22, 2012

Paper Mario Sticker Star

Date played: November 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 9/10

The coolest Toad around
I went on a work trip to Montreal for 4 days and most of my free time was spent playing Paper Mario. I played a ton of the game and made my way to 3-7. The second world, based in the desert, was full of fun enemies and cool levels, including a Yoshi Sphinx and a 2D pyramid maze. The only thing I really dislike about the game is that I've resorted to guides and FAQ's for the boss fights since the only way to know which stickers you'll need is to start the fight, fail, and try again with the right stickers after getting hints mid-battle. The boss of the second world was a giant Pokey and I tried to fight him normally but he just had too much health. It turns out I needed a baseball bat sticker to really hit him hard.

Then I went on to the third world, a forest, home of Wiggler, the friendly but hot-headed centipede. He lost all of his body parts to some nasty Kamek magic and Mario now has to recover the parts from the different levels. Most of the levels were cool and lots of fun but again, I had to resort to a FAQ to find one of the parts that was too well hidden in the level.

Overall, I really like this game but there are some bad design choices all around. The game's charm, humor and pacing are still great and that's why I will definitely keep playing it.