November 4, 2012

Mario Kart 64

Date played: November 2nd
Platform: N64
Session fun rating: 8/10

One of my brothers and a friend came over to visit and we spent a good portion of our evening just playing Mario Kart 64. I used DK, my bro used Mario and my friend used Toad. In the end, I won 6 out of 8 races, fuck yeah! We had one race in particular that had an amazing ending. My bro and friend were battling out in front on the last lap of Rainbow Road, hitting each other with bananas and turtle shells. Then, a split second before they passed the finish line, I got a lightning bolt, used it and shrunk them both. It must have been a bug or something but they both ran over each other into the small, run over floating state. I then sped past them and won while they were staring at the finish line for 10 seconds! It was a great moment.

This game still holds up in terms of gameplay and handling but it has some weird fucking issues that I didn't remember. Of course, the low resolution is really rough on the eyes but it still works. The weirdest thing of all was all the sound glitches. For one, we only heard DK's sounds. Second, there was no music. And third, when there WAS music, it cut off all the other sounds in the game. I don't know if it's just my copy that did this but it was really weird playing without sound effects.

We also played some battle mode where I did not perform as well. In fact, I lost almost all the battles and my brother won most of them.