November 4, 2012

Need for Speed Most Wanted

Date played: November 2nd and 3rd
Platform: PS3
Session fun rating: 8/10

I just love Criterion I think. This is the second Need for Speed game that they make and it happens to be the second NFS game that I enjoy from the last five year. In fact, the last time I had fun with a non-Criterion NFS game was the original Most Wanted which I got around the 360 launch.

This game is all about the online mode I think. I played a bit of single player and while it was fun, it was clearly not as enjoyable as the multiplayer. Single player is about climbing the most wanted list. To qualify though, I have to collect enough speed points which are earned by doing car specific races. For example, I have pimped out my Lancia Delta by racing in it and winning some new parts, stuff like nitrous, tires and gear boxes.

Online is where it's at though. I played a ton of this and while I still don't understand how to unlock cars in the online mode, I had a lot more fun than in single player. The game drops up to 8 players into the open world map and sets up a five event marathon. Some of these are simple races while others are crazy challenges such as drift a total of 2 miles as a group, be on top of a building all at the same time and tons of other creative challenges, reminiscent of Burnout Paradise's online modes.