November 5, 2012

Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation

Date played: November 4th
Platform: Vita
Session fun rating: 8/10

I played through the missions available in New Orleans including a pretty cool assassination sequence. I had to infiltrate an important man's mansion and kill him without being detected. I used the slave persona since it seems to offer the best stealth and combat combination. I found my way inside the mansion's walls by jumping from a tree, a really nice addition to the traversal in the series. Then I sneaked in and silently took out three guards before reaching the target. The mission asked that I kill him with a musket but at the time, I had no idea how to even fire the thing so I just fought a bunch of guards with my hidden blade and killed the target.

The game then cut to a completely new section, the Bayou. While it's not exactly clear why I'm going there, it's definitely a cool area. The Bayou is a swamp, full of trees, creeks, alligators and few buildings. I met up with a group of smugglers who seem to need my help to scare away some thugs who will help me in return. The missions so far were pretty cool. I had to protect the smugglers house from thug attacks and eventually, I found my way into one of their camps and slaughtered about a dozen guys. I also fought an alligator.... yep.

Trees and swamps make traversal different and interesting
The best part about this section is that Aveline is climbing trees instead of buildings. It feels fresh and isn't as buggy as I thought it might be. The view points are also lots of fun since they are mostly on top of gigantic trees that are quite complicated to climb. I also received a new weapon, the blow dart, that can kill silently from a nice distance. I'm liking this game more than I thought I would, if only the framerate was better...