September 30, 2016

Forza Horizon 3

Date played: September 29th
Platform: Xbox One

Forza Horizon 3 is a driving fan's dream come true.

I actually ended up spending a good amount of time just free roaming, smashing XP boards, finding a couple of barns and just riding. I completed a few bucket list challenges. The first was a crazy skill point challenge in an old Ford RS at a construction site far away from town. I jumped and drifted like a madman and got the target score pretty easily. Another bucket list challenge had me drifting around a corner near some fields in an Australian car. That was a bit harder, but when I turned off traction control, things went more smoothly.

My first barn find was a wonderful Ferrari Dino, a real classic. It's a bit difficult to keep on the road, but it's a joy to ride. To get to the barn, I decided to try out a bonus car I received from playing the Halo games, the infamous UNSC Warthog, straight out of Master Chief's hands. This thing is pretty slow, but it is an absolute beast off road. Hills that would stop street cars dead in their tracks are handled easily by the big vehicle.

I completed a few events around Surfer's Paradise, including a difficult race in the middle of the night in my sexy Ferrari 458. I got myself enough fans to level up one of my festivals, so I decided to upgrade Byron Bay to level 3. There are hot air balloons there now! A bunch of new events opened up, but I haven't really done any yet. There's also a new event type available, street races, which aren't technically part of the festival, but again, I didn't try those yet.

In the process, I unlocked the next showcase event. In the driver's seat of a recent Chevrolet Camaro, I was tasked with racing against a motherfucking train! At times, the road intersected with the train tracks. Using some ramps that were placed there for the event, I jumped over the train a couple of times as I raced at breakneck speeds, trying to overtake the locomotive. I missed a checkpoint, but I've disabled rewind, so I had to either restart of keep going hoping for the best. I kept going and miraculously, I  beat the train with only a few fractions of a second to spare.
My Fiat 124 Spider fights for first place against a Manx buggy.
I decided to buy a new car, and an old 1980 Fiat 124 Spider caught my eye. I drive a Fiat 500 in real life, so I have a soft spot for the Italian manufacturer. The 124 isn't a sports car or anything, it's a low power convertible meant for cruising. This meant that racing in it was really interesting because it's so slow. The starting grid was filled with weird, low power vehicles, including some incredible looking vehicles such as the 3 wheel Reliant and the little Manx dune buggy. While the racing was slow, it was still really enjoyable.

I found another barn too, which rewarded me with an old Toyota offroad truck and I won a nice Subaru Impreza from the 90's. I can't wait to get back into the game and race some more!