September 11, 2016

Unravel demo

Date played: September 11th
Platform: PS4

When I first saw footage of Unravel, I was sold. This is a 2D puzzle platformer starring Yarnie, a little red creature who is made of yarn. He uses yarn from his body to create tools. Bridges, trampolines, a rappel, knots and tons of other little stuff.

When the game came out, the reviews were really rough, so I lost interest. Turns out, that was a mistake because I really loved every moment of this short demo. The visuals are outstanding. They really are something special, with amazing attention to detail. The fact that Yarnie is very small helps because everything around him is huge. Apple trees, a tricycle, a home, a sandbox, etc.

The puzzles were simple but satisfying. I created little bridges to carry apples, I swung my yarn to reach new areas and I rappelled down some steep ledges. Yarnie has a maximum distance he can travel because with every step he takes, he unravels a little bit. I have to find yarn sources to knit myself back together to move forward. It's a really interesting game with a unique art style, so I might play it if it comes on sale or something.