September 21, 2016

Forza Horizon 2: Storm Island

Date played: September 18th
Platform: Xbox One

I feel the need. The need....for SPEED!

I think I've missed racing games.... a lot. I am way too excited for Forza Horizon 3 next week. Once again, I booted up Horizon 2's Storm Island expansion and completed a good number of events. I spent most of my time playing Bucket List events, most of which were pretty straight forward. The exception was a coast to coast time trial in a Ferrari F40...

The F40 is a very fast car, but it's meant to be driven on roads. Asphalt roads. This event had a very tight time limit, so I knew I had to take some dirt roads and go offroad a little bit. It took multiple attempts, maybe half a dozen, before I knew which route I wanted to use. Then, it took a few more attempts to be fast enough to make it on time. It was difficult but reasonable, and that made my victory very satisfying.

I completed a good number of events, using the classic 90's Subaru Impreza WRX, my Jurassic Park themed Jeep and my old school early 80's Corvette. Storm Island is exciting, dangerous and I can't wait to get Horizon 3 in my hands....

At one point, my 6 year old daughter came into the room. I asked her if she wanted to try. She smiled, said yes, and took the controller. She had the Impreza at first and I was really surprised at how well she was handling the car in general, considering it's her first time playing a real racing game. I think her many hours of Pokemon X have made her more comfortable with a joystick, and it showed when she drove.

Granted, she had many, many crashes, but those were also very entertaining because of her reactions. It's wonderful to see her play a game and have fun on her own. I helped her learn the controls, but after this, I gave her free reign to do as she pleases. Her two favorite things were crashing into shrubs and bushes to get points, and crashing into hay bales as hard as she could. At one point, I changed her car for the Fiat 500 because that's what I drive in real life. We had a blast making jokes about her crashing my little car everywhere.
My daughter's favorite car, a Lamborghini Huracan with a horrible paint job
Later, she tried a Ferrari 458 and this went about as bad as you could expect. She spun it around 4 or 5 times then asked for a car that is easier to handle. When I got to the car selection screen, she decided she wanted to drive the Lamborghini Huracan based on the fact that the livery I had on it was pink and had hearts.

Surprisingly, she had much better control of this car than the Ferrari, and she went fast! Seeing my daughter play a video game like this made me a very proud dad, I loved seeing her discover Forza.