September 28, 2016

Forza Horizon 3

Date played: September 27th
Platform: Xbox One

Forza Horizon 3 is simply incredible.

I played a few hours of the full game last night and even though I'm really early in the progression, I can't help but feel that this game just might be a racing masterpiece. The game begins just like the demo, which I played recently. There's a quick introductory driving sequence in a Lamborghini Centenario, which then switched control to a high power racing truck. The Australian festival begins in earnest with an amazing race through the forest in a dune buggy, against a helicopter carrying an old Jeep.

For my first car, I chose a beefed up Nissan Sylvia with a wide body kit. After the first few events and a bit of messing around with settings, I was given another car, an SUV this time. I chose the Lamborghini Urus, which doesn't actually exist in real life yet. It's just a prototype, though it's expected to be sold next year. This car is fantastic... It's fast and fun to drive, and it looks completely insane. Shit, that fucking thing doesn't even have side mirrors, instead, it has little cameras!
My Nissan Sylvia zooms around on the beach
I also received a shit ton of cars (8?) as loyalty rewards, based on the fact that I've played a lot of Forza in the past. It was an eclectic, fun list of cars, including a breath-taking Ferrari 458, a nice BMW, a crazy off-road vehicle, a big pick-up truck, an Acura NSX and a few more. As I leveled up, I was also given a 70's Camaro.

There's a lot to this fucking game. Like, a lot. There are regular races, championships, bucket list challenges, speed traps, speed zones, drift zones, barn finds, head to head races, rival time trials, showcase events, secret boards to smash, danger zones and of course, online modes too! The music is even better than the previous game, with lots of variety, and even skill songs, that boost skill point generation while they're playing.

The graphics are fucking jaw-dropping. I just can't believe this thing is running on an Xbox One. There's so much detail to everything... The cars are glorious of course, with every little detail recreated with excruciating precision. But it's the environments that steal the show. The sun-drenched beaches of Byron Bay, the colorful streets of Surfer's Paradise, the sprawling agricultural fields of the country-side, the lush rainforest and of course, the iconic sands of the Australian outback.

Not only do these places look fantastic, they are also incredibly fun to drive. My Lamborghini Uros screaming through the suburban streets (and backyards...) of Byron Bay. My Ferrari 458 luxuriously, yet dangerously, sped through the ocean-side roads. My Nissan Sylvia bouncing through the wide fields. My Camaro roaring through city streets. Everything feels just right.

There's so much to do in this game, and it's just incredibly fun to simply drive around, I can't wait to get back into it.