September 11, 2016

Pokemon Yellow

Date played: September 7th and 8th
Platform: 3DS

I made some serious progress in Pokemon Yellow. After going through many routes, caves, and forests, I reached Vermilion city, home of the third gym. It's also a port city, where the large cruise ship, S.S. Anne, is currently docked.

I picked up a bunch of new stuff along the way. I now have a bicycle, which lets me move around much faster on the main world screen. I also have the fishing rod, which can be used to fish water-based Pokemon anywhere there's water. I used it to catch a level 5 Magikarp, the most useless Pokemon in the game. This thing literally has one ability, Splash, which does nothing. Absolutely nothing. So why did I catch him? Well, at level 20, he turns into Gyrados, one of the most powerful water Pokemon!

Before taking on the city's gym, I had to get onto the S.S. Anne to beat every trainer and reach the captain. After a lot of grinding here, I made it to the end and received HS Cut from the captain, which lets one of my Pokemon cut small bushes in the main world screen. I was then able to take on the gym, which is lightning based. My Sandshrew did most of the work here, as he's a ground type.

My team is making good progress. My Pikachu is level 24. My Charmander evolved to Charmeleon. My Sandshrew evolved to a Sandslash. Mankey and Butterfree are still doing their thing. And of course, I have Gyrados who is another major part of my team.