October 3, 2016

Forza Horizon 3

Date played: October 2nd
Platform: Xbox One

Time just flies by in Forza Horizon 3...

I've done a ton of stuff. I recruited team members in head to head races. I drove a 90's Ford Mustang through the forest to complete some jump stunts. I modded, painted and raced a Local Motors Rally Fighter through a torrential river. I crashed into XP and fast travel billboards. I raced through speed zones and speed cameras. I took pictures for in-game currency in Horizon Promo. I unlocked the Outback festival site. I raised Byron Bay's festival level to 4. I roared through Surfer's Paradise in a bratty 1973 Holden HQ Monaro GTS 350. I smoked my way through drift zones. I created a bucket list challenge that forces players to use the bumper cam and no rewinds. I completed a few bucket list challenges, including a few spectacular jumps.
The Ariel Nomad ploughs through a field
Basically, Horizon 3 is just pure fun all the damn time. My best moments were had in the seat of the agile Ariel Nomad. I painted it's round pipe frame a beautiful light purple, added a racing stripe, some fancy roof lights, and a completely useless spare tire. She's stunning. This car is also incredible in extreme offroad conditions and is simply a joy to drive. I raced with this car in the Outback and it was a perfect fit.

At one point, my 6 year-old daughter walked into the room and started watching. She has previously played a little bit of Forza Horizon 2, but she's still really new to racing games. She asked for the controller, and of course, I handed it over right away. At first, she chose to drive a Camaro, but it didn't turn out to well because it was a bit too hard to keep straight when accelerating. So I put her in the seat of an old hatchback Honda Civic. She did better with this one, though she seemed more interested in hitting stuff than driving on the road!