September 26, 2016

Forza Horizon 2: Storm Island

Date played: September 25th
Platform: Xbox One

Last night, I played a few race events, one bucket list challenge, a couple of gauntlet events and the Horizon Finale!

I began with the bucket list challenge, a grueling time trial where I was forced into cockpit view in a Mini offroad SUV. In the rain and fog. Through a fucking forest. It took me several attempts to even find a route that made sense, and after that, lots of practice and refinement of the path. This was easily one of the most challenging events in the Storm Island expansion. Eventually, I turned on rewind to reduce frustration. Finally, I hit the route that would win me the event. I had to bolt through some dangerous vegetation flawlessly and drive like a fucking maniac to reach the end on time. It was incredibly satisfying to win.

The race events were very easy after all this, so I made my way through 3 Hot Hatch events, where I drove a simple but fun Ford Focus RS. Then I hopped into an Audi Quattro, an absolute beast in the Group B Monsters event. This was a ton of fun, the tracks were cool and the Audi is just so powerful.
The Audi Quattro is a pleasure to ride
Somewhere in there, I decided to buy a second Abarth 500 and tune it to the max to see how that would feel. It made for a very fast, very fun car, but it was a little too light and jumpy. I replaced the engine with something more powerful, put on an AWD drivetrain and put in every upgrade I could find. It was fun for a while, but it wasn't tuned right. Something felt off. Maybe the suspension needed to be softer or something.

I drove a few more gauntlet events, which are really just long races in the rain with some hardcore racing trucks. This unlocked the Horizon Finale, a massive, two lap race around the entirety of Storm Island. I drove my trusty Subaru Impreza WRX STi and won the event without much trouble. Forza Horizon 3 is coming out tomorrow, so this will likely be the last time I play this one.