July 1, 2017

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Date played: June 30th
Platform: PC

I played an absurd amount of South Park yesterday. I had a day off alone, which is a very rare thing, and I didn't want to do anything productive or energy consuming at all, so I played about 5 hours of South Park...

There's sooooo much going on here, but the bottom line is that I'm really enjoying he humor, story, combat, characters, items and environmental puzzles. I can't even come close to talking about all the things that have happened, there's just too much. Still, a few scenes and moments really stood out.

My job was to continue recruiting some kids to join our group of warriors. I explored much of the city while doing so, stumbling upon many iconic characters from the show. I even got myself 3 summons! I've got a Chinese wok chef who slices it's blades at people. I've got a sex slave guy, who wears leather and swallows up enemies into his asshole to win the battle. Then there's Jesus, who I haven't tried out yet.
Stick of Truth is fantastic!

I've leveled up a few times too, getting new abilities, weapons and armor. The loot cycle moves pretty quickly in this game, with items not lasting more than a dozen battles before finding something a little better. My backstab ability is probably my favorite thing to use in battle, because it hits from the back and it also leaves the enemy bleeding. Mug is also pretty great, as it also hits from behind, but it also stuns the enemy and steals and item from them. My third ability is a shield and armor-breaking jump attack.

Kenny joined my party and can join me in combat instead of Butters. Kenny is kind of like a Bard or something. He can charm enemies by flashing his little titties, he can summon some rats to attack enemies and his bow hits pretty hard. He doesn't fit too well with my thief class though, so I typically stick to Butters.

I did so much stuff.. I beat up a disabled kid in a wheelchair, I played a rhythm mini-game that always ended in Stan's dad getting rammed in the ass by a giant alien dildo, I beat up some Mongolians who were bullying the local Chinese restaurant, I fought an army of gingers, shit, I even delivered some crack to the local coffee shop!

At one point, I was abducted by aliens and taken to their ship. After some poking around and alien fighting, I beat them, but their ship crashed in South Park. Following these events, the Stick of Truth is missing, presumably taken by the elves during the night.

The beauty of this game is that the mechanics are sound. Previous South Park video games focused on the humor, which was good, but forgot to build a good game around it. With developer Obsidian at the helm of Stick of Truth, the mechanics are in good hands, so it's easy to enjoy the jokes and humor.