July 25, 2017

The Last Guardian

Date played: July 24th
Platform: PS4

I finished The Last Guardian!

What an incredible ending... I swear, this has to be one of my favorite video game endings in a long, long time.The remaining gameplay portions were all pretty simple and lots of fun, but my last hour with the game was definitely more story focused.

Trico and the boy had reached the center of the white tower and found a small opening leading to the interior of the central pillar. This led to an odd pulsating device that was enveloped in a dark substance, floating in the air. I aimed my mirror towards the device, which made the substance retract temporarily, allowing me enough time to climb the device safely. I solved another short puzzle after this, then was able to exit the tower and reach it's roof and reunite with Trico one more time.

After a few moments of idyllic peace, soaking in the warm light of the setting sun, the tower's antenna started emitting a loud noise. It quickly became clear that the device in the center of the tower was some sort of overarching entity that controlled the evil Trico. It also became quickly apparent that there are many of these creatures in the world, as dozens of armored Trico's flew to the tower at the device's call.
The boy reunites with Trico at the peak of the white tower

Shit got heavy real fast. The creatures all attacked my companion, ruthlessly and violently biting and scratching to the song of Trico's agonizing cries of pain. My mirror was knocked away, so in a desperate attempt to help Trico, I ran towards it. I was knocked away by one of the bad Tricos and fell down the vertiginous heights of the white tower. During my fall, I was attacked again, but this time, I managed to grab hold of the attacking beast's plumage. I went for a bit of a rollercoaster ride here as the animal tried to throw me off it's back, flying through the air at high speeds.

Eventually, I was dropped on the white tower's roof again by the beast, presumably to get some help from it's friends. I made another run for the mirror but this time, I was stopped by something even scarier than the armored Tricos. No, this time, I was stopped by the intense pain of seeing Trico suffer.

This was easily the most heartbreaking moment in the game for me... The evil Tricos were violent enough with Trico that they tore end of it's tail off completely. Trico howled in pain and despair. It was fucking horrible... The mutilated piece of it's tail flew into the nearby opening that led to the strange device in the center of the tower. Desperate to find a way to help, I jumped down and found the tail. I then dragged it to the center of the room, where the device was still emanating the dark substance, then aimed the mirror at it.

To my surprise, I was able to destroy the device, which had some unexpected consequences. Outside, the evil Tricos started falling from the sky, as if their bodies just stopped responding. I need to add that the music during the entire ending sequence was fucking fantastic. It was beautiful, emotional and very well matched to the events on screen. The actions taken by the boy hurt him though, as the device wounded him when it shut down.

Trico comes to the boy's rescue, no longer being under attack by the evil Tricos. My loyal friend is limping, bleeding, is missing a large piece of it's tail and and losing feathers. Trico slowly picks up the boy in it's mouth, then jumps back out to the roof of the white tower. The tower itself is now crumbling slowly, due to the destruction of the device. Trico looks out into the distance, with unconscious boy in it's beak, then he swallows him for protection.

Then it happens. The happy moment. The payoff. Trico winds up, then jumps down the white tower to fly away, out of the crater where the whole game took place. He drops for an uncomfortably long time, but finally, he spreads it's wings and takes flight, out into the real world.

Trico crash lands a little later, exhausted. The duo must have been close to the boy's village because there were humans around. Trico regurgitates the boy, who is promptly picked up by a man. The warriors stand off against Trico, but as the boy is carried away, he regains consciousness and mumbles a few words. It took me a moment, but I soon realized that I had to use the command to send Trico away. This time, it was goodbye forever.

I was very sad that the boy and Trico never see each other again. Their bond was strong... The epilogue was pretty great though. The boy grew into a man, and lives in the village. Some of the kids in the village randomly found the mirror, buried in the soil. The game then cuts to distant land and we catch a glimpse of Trico, seemingly healthy. The best part though was when I noticed another pair of smaller eyes glowing in the darkness. Paired with the higher pitched sounds, I can only assume that Trico has had a child, possibly even with the evil Trico that we fought the whole game...

The Last Guardian was a weird game. Ignoring the years and years of development and the transition from PS3 to PS4, the game still had tons of problems. Controls were shit. Camera was worse. Some of the puzzles were too obtuse and in some areas, it got a little boring. However, the bond that I've built with Trico over the game is something that I'll remember for my whole life. All the big set piece moments were amazing too. The amazing ending is really the cherry on the cake. I cried like a little girl when Trico finally took flight for real. I had goosebumps of horror when it's tail was mutilated. I feared for the boy's life more than once. The Last Guardian is a deeply flawed game, but it delivers such a great story that I am left with a very positive impression. Maybe one day, we'll get to see Trico's child in action...