July 23, 2017

Splatoon 2

Date played: July 21st and 22nd
Platform: Switch

I bought Splatoon 2! I had skipped the first game on Wii U because I was already deep into other multiplayer games, but Splatoon 2 looked so cool that I had to give it a shot. I wasn't disappointed by the game's core mode, Turf War.

Splatoon 2 is an online third person shooter, almost. There are not bullets or shotguns though, instead, all the weapons are about splattering paint. The objective of Turf War is to paint more of the map than your opponents. The teams are 4 vs 4, and the maps are relatively small. This is mainly because the weapons have very low range compared to a regular shooter. Even the game's equivalent of the sniper rifle might as well be a shotgun in Doom.
Splatoon 2's got style!

Of course, in the process of painting more and more of the arena, you end up fighting against other players. Splatoon 2's combat is built around it's odd and varied weapons. My favorite so far has been the closest thing to an assault rifle I could find. There's some wild weapons though, like a bucket of paint, a paint roller and even a sort of paint grenade launcher. Each weapon comes with it's own sub-weapon, such as paint grenades, and a special ability.

The specials are earned by painting the map, but when you get killed by another player, you lose some of your special meter. My favorite special has been one that launches me into the air, Destiny style, and allows for some paint grenade lobbing from high ground.

Combat is fast and frenetic, and I love it. The 3 minutes matches make for short but exciting matches and the bright colors and fun atmosphere make this a joy to play. Still, it's not without it's fair share of problems. The biggest annoyance is having to back out of a game lobby to change weapons. There interface is pretty, but kind of slow and cumbersome.

I also tried the single player mode a little bit, but so far, it's been very simplistic and very easy. It's a good way to learn how to get around, and there's been a few creative portions in each level, but it's not really keeping my attention.

At level 6, I've unlocked a few items and weapons and am starting to get better at the game. However, there are clearly some much better players than me in this game, so I'll have to practice a lot!