July 14, 2017

The Last Guardian

Date played: July 13th
Platform: PS4

I played through a big portion of The Last Guardian. Much of my time was spent solving the environmental puzzles of each room. In fact, it's quite Zelda-esque in many ways. Not Breath of the Wild Zelda of course, that's a whole different thing, but more like the classic 3D dungeons. It's really fun to experiment and try different things to find the solution.

Except when it doesn't work and I get stuck that is... At one point, I had to carry around a large pot with blue Trico food inside. I attached it to a chain and it Trico would pull on it, raising a nearby gate temporarily, allowing me to go to a new room. What I got stuck on is that I didn't know I was able to pull a big rolling object to the top of a platform, and ran around exploring the nearby area for way too long.
These eye things are a pain in the ass!

I eventually figured it out... Later, the environment got a lot more interesting, as I reached some bigger open areas, littered with rickety bridges, narrow platforms and large stained glass eye designs. These designs scare Trico very much, so I had to find creative ways to destroy them, like throwing little stone statues through them or making their foundations crumble.

There was a fantastic moment, where a bridge collapsed, and Trico saved my life by extending it's tail below it to give me a handhold. It was all in slow motion with some sweeping orchestral music going on, so the effect was powerful.

I went through a series of these elaborate platforms, each more difficult to solve than the last. It's pretty cool and kind of relaxing, but I wish the controls and camera were tighter... it's quite distracting. Still, I'm loving the game so far.