July 25, 2017

Splatoon 2

Date played: July 24th
Platform: Switch

I played a few quick matches last night, mostly with my trusty Splattershot rifle. I've reached level 8 now and have been granted access to a few new weapons, including a powerful but unwieldy chaingun. Since Splatoon 2 has a weird map rotation thing going on, I got a chance to try a few new maps. Some of them are not as good as others, but most of them have very fun battle areas. Knowing the maps is critical of course, so I've been improving a lot as I play them.
I'm the third player in this image, armed with my trusty Splattershot

The biggest thing I learned is that I have to play this game differently than any other shooter, even shooters that have territory control elements. This is because of the swimming ability that the inklings use to move around. I didn't realize it at first, but it's a huge element during combat. Not only is the way to recharge ink, but it's also a fantastic flanking tool. More and more, I'm weaving in and out of paint, flanking enemies or staying hidden for a moment to take them by surprise. It's been working remarkably well.

It helps that the Splattershot has better range than most weapons, since I can usually hold an opponent at bay by simply spraying in their general direction. I'm still very far from being any good at this game, but I'm definitely improving at a rapid pace. Splatoon 2 is a lot of fun in quick short bursts, and it's a lot deeper than you might think based on the childish visual style.