July 17, 2017

The Last Guardian

Date played: July 16th
Platform: PS4

Trico and the boy continued their journey towards the top of the towers that litter the landscape. I climbed a lot, navigating crumbling ruins, shimmying along edges and finding ways for both the boy and Trico to continue moving together. There were many switches to pull, enemies to avoid, barrels to carry and stained glass to destroy.

At one point, the bridges and structures we were using to progress began to crumble under our feet, which led to an exciting sequence as I fled the scene, trying to find a solid foothold. As cool as it was, the game's performance was complete shit. I mean, I'm running a PS4 Pro here, and the game looks good, but not that fucking good, and it still can't keep a solid framerate? It's pretty disappointing, even though it still looked really cool.
The architecture in this game is fantastic

We got pretty high on the towers, but due to all this crumbling, we didn't have a safe place. This led to our first direct confrontation with the other Trico, the dark one that I've caught a glimpse of a few times already. As Trico and the boy were hanging on for dear life from a ledge, the dark Trico showed up and attacked! It's quite intimidating because it's feathers are darker and it wears some armor. It swiped at Trico's head, knocking us down through a structure's roof below.

To my horror, this was a room I had visited before, the room with the dangling blue potion on a chain. Fuck this fucking room. So anyway, our fall damaged the place enough that there were a few new spots to explore. I was stuck on a branch, hanging by my shirt's collar, and Trico was wounded below. It took many instructions and multiple attempts,  but eventually, I managed to get Trico above me so that I could grab it's tail to escape.

We then spent a bunch of time just working our way back up, through a different route. Lots more exploration and puzzle solving awaited me ahead. Most of the puzzles are fun, but one of them was particularly shitty. I had to move two crates near a gate, then throw a barrel onto the crates, then through a hole in the gate. This would have been fine if it wasn't for the game's shitty controls. It's really frustrating because I know exactly what I want to do, but the fucking kid moves like a drunk squid! He stumbles around, gets stuck on rocks, won't grab onto chains and throws his barrels all over the place. I got it done, but it took way longer than it should have. In a game with better controls, this would have been over in 10 seconds instead of 10 minutes...

Later, I reached a large arena-like structure, where Trico had to fight a few bad guys. This time though, some of them held shields with the eye design on them, so Trico was scared of them. I had to make the bad guy drop his shield by shoving him from behind and hoping that Trico would kill it before it picked up it's shield again. After the battle, I escaped the arena by having Trico step on a chariot that would end up acting like a catapult for the boy, sending him soaring through the air to safety. It was a great moment.

I have now reached a pool of water, and it seems like Trico knows how to swim pretty damn well, so I have a feeling we'll be solving some underwater puzzles for a little while.