July 1, 2017

Banana Peels, Tetrominos & A Friendly Noodle - Special Edition

Date played: June 30th
Platform: Switch

My youngest brother came over for a much needed game night. We both needed some time to chill and not have to deal with other obligations, so playing Switch all night seemed like a good idea. I started off by showing him Snake Pass, because he was curious when he saw the icon in the menu. I played a few minutes of the third level to show the odd control scheme and fun physics. He really enjoyed what he saw and might consider it on PS4.

Next, we played a few rounds of the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo, which is starting to look like one of my most played demos of the last decade. We only played a few rounds, but we had a ton of fun with it, as usual. I think I need to buy this game...

Really though, most of our evening was spent battling against 10 other players, racing in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. My brother had played this game once or twice before, back on Wii U, but he doesn't know the tracks or anything. We took a few minutes to get him acclimated to the controls, then we jumped online to race against some real people.
My brother as Shyguy, myself as Lakitu, racing around Hyrule Castle

My brother did really well, considering his lack of experience. Granted, he's played a lot of Mario Kart in general during his life, but still, he was taking corners at full speed and making few mistakes. Shit, he even beat me a few times! I wasn't able to secure a first place victory, but I had many 2nd and 3rd places.

My bro's main character is usually Shyguy, which he used quite a bit, but he also played with Link a few times. He was particularly impressed by the graphics and general look of the game. I think our most entertaining race was on N64's Rainbow Road at 150 cc. That shit is just crazy!