July 24, 2017

The Last Guardian

Date played: July 23rd
Platform: PS4

Ohhh man, shit got real heavy!

After a bit of climbing and some risky jumping, I managed to push one of the two eyes off the bridge that was blocking Trico's way. However, I wasn't able to push the second one off as a literal army of animated knights of armor attacked me. To my huge surprise, Trico conquered it's fear of the eyes and jumped to my rescue, fighting off all the enemies in one shot. It was a very touching moment.

We continued climbing and climbing until we were interrupted by the evil Trico, as it attached us directly. it overpowered my friend many times, and in each case, I had to find a way to help. The best moment is when I had to pull the evil Trico's tail into a gate, then use a switch to make the gate smash onto it.
Trico vs Evil Trico was an amazing battle

During the battle, the evil creature's helmet was taken off, and it's revealed that this is really just another creature, with no remarkable traits different than Trico's, except perhaps the color of their feathers. The battle was fierce, but we managed to scare the dangerous beast away. Trico was badly hurt though... We fell to the bottom of a tower and I had to find 4 barrels of food to get my friend back on it's feet. In the process, Trico regurgitated the mirror that I had lost early on, so I had a new tool at my disposal to progress and battle.

We went back up the tower, using the mirror's electric attack on knights of armor and distant stained glass eyes. There was a lot of action here, and lots of fun little segments. Eventually, we got very close to the white tower, the iconic structure that dominates the skyline since the beginning of the game. To reach it, Trico had to take out it's big wings once again and fly for a little bit. It's landings are still rough as fuck, but the creature can cover a lot of distance. It all looked quite spectacular. We fought some more knights of armor upon landing on the tower, then found an entrance.

Inside the tower, there wasn't much except some big structural columns that Trico used to traverse, and a giant spinning fan of some kind at the top. I found a small opening that led to the center of the structure, but had to stop playing then. I think I'm very close to the end of the game, and I hope it's got a happy ending...