June 29, 2017

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Date played: June 28th
Platform: PC

I haven't touched my PC in a long long time, but I recently booted it up and updated everything in the hopes of playing Ori and the Blind Forest. Unfortunately for Ori, the Steam sale was on and Stick of Truth was just 10$... I had to buy it.

I've never been a huge South Park fan, but I like it. Also, I really like Matt Stone and Trey Parker's work, so I knew I would have some fun with this. So far, it's been really great. This is a turn based RPG that reminds me a of Paper Mario in a lot of ways. The tone, language, subject matter and utter obscenity of South Park is what sets this game apart though.

In about an hour of play time, I've thrown my own shit at enemies during combat to disorient them. I've walked in on a naked lady. I've stabbed little kids to death. I've stolen a surprising variety of dildos from Cartman's mom's bedroom. South Park is no ordinary RPG...

I play as the new kid in town and got to pick one of four classes. Fighter, mage, thief or Jew. That's right, one of the classes is Jew. I picked the thief because, well, it's been a while since I played that type of character in an RPG. The game has been really cool so far. I first had to make some friends, exploring town and talking to people.

Eventually, I ran into Cartman, who is like a head wizard of some sort. He runs a fantasy role playing camp and asks me to join his ranks. I learned how to fight with a little wooden dagger and took my place on the team. I've teamed up with Butters, who is a paladin. We are heading out to gather some new warriors.

The whole game is surprisingly accurate. It literally looks like it's the TV show, and the voice acting is from the real guys, so it's very well done. The dialogue is hilarious and very well written, considering how fucking stupid it all is.

Combat is very cool too. Just like Paper Mario and Costume Quest, there are timed actions during combat, even if it's turn based. This adds a lot of fun to the battles. There's lots of different abilities to use and even some items. The skill tree is interesting too, as I'm starting to specialize in backstabbing people and making them bleed. I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed what I've played so far.