July 2, 2017

Pokemon Moon

Date played: July 1st and 2nd
Platform: 3DS

My daughter finally felt like playing Pokemon again, after a 5 month break! We spent most of our time making our way through Route 5 and completing the island's first trial. Route 5 was nothing special, just a bunch of battles against wild Pokemon and some trainers. My daughter's team is starting to look pretty good. She's got good balance and some pretty strong Pokemon, she even evolved two of them while we played.

At one point, we were given an egg by the Pokemon daycare. To hatch it, we just had to carry it with us as we walked, but it took up a Pokemon slot, so it's kind of a hassle. Mine hatched after a while, but my daughter's is still inside the egg. Inside was one of the most iconic Pokemon of all time, Eevee. This cute little guy is special because he's got a ton of different evolutions. Depending on which items it holds or other weird conditions, it can evolve into many varied types of Pokemon. I like Eevee a lot, so I might just keep it on my team.
Eevee and it's many evolutions

After Route 5, we reached the first trial of the island. To complete it, we were given access to a new mount, Lapras. This gentle giant is a beautiful marine Pokemon, big enough to ride. This means we can now cross rivers and lakes, provided there's a beach somewhere for us to get onto our new mount. The trial was pretty simple, mostly it was about using Lapras to get around and fighting some aquatic Pokemon along the way.

I really enjoy playing this with my daughter. It's a simple game, but there's enough depth there to have some fun with the systems. The dialogue is straight forward, so even my kid can read most of it.