July 10, 2017

The Last Guardian

Date played: July 9th
Platform: PS4

It's really hard to write about this game, since it's just a series of little platforming puzzle rooms one after the other. Of course, the big appeal of this game is that these puzzles are about interacting with Trico, who really acts like a living being. The more I progress in the game, the more I understand Trico and his behaviour.

For example, I've had to fight many statues in various rooms. Trico is a great fighter, stomping and slamming on enemies with lots of energy. However, he clearly gets very affected by this, as he becomes restless, jumping around like a hare. He also doesn't like it when I climb on him at those times. The trick is to climb to his head then pet him gently. After a few seconds, he calms down and is back to normal.
Trico and the boy are starting to bond

At one point, we reached a wide clearing, filled with ruins and grass. Trico was clearly happy to get a chance to play outside and thoroughly enjoyed the brief playtime. On a few occasions now, I caught a glimpse of another animal similar to Trico, usually perched high above us, watching. Trico growls a little and is on guard when the other is around, so I have a feeling there's gonna be tension between the two animals.

The biggest change in the game so far has been the addition of some new mechanics. Now that Trico and the boy are closer, I was given the ability to give commands to the beast. I can ask it to go in a specific direction, stay, jump or stomp. The jump has been the most valuable as it allows me to reach much higher areas and solve more puzzles.

I should also add that the music has been tastefully implemented, with grand sweeping piano segments chiming in during important events. The narrator has been cool too, helping out when I got stuck. I wonder what's the story with the second Trico?