July 30, 2017

Spy Chameleon

Date played: July 29th
Platform: PS4

I started and finished Spy Chameleon, a top down stealth puzzle game I got for free with PS+. My daughter wanted  to play a new game, and she liked the icon on the PS4 menu, so we gave it a go. It was a really short game, taking less than 2 hours to complete, but it was pretty cool overall.

You play as a spy chameleon, of course, and must traverse rooms without being spotted by a variety of obstacles. There are security cameras, spotlights, lab rats, patrolling flies and other dangerous things to avoid. I also had to pick up some collectible flies in each level. There were 75 short levels, most of which took less than a minute to solve.
These lab rats were my favorite obstacle

The key mechanic is that the character can swap to 4 different colors, which hides him in the world when he's over an object of the same color. There were tons of fun variations on this concept throughout the game. I also enjoyed using a special object to turn lab rats into muscled bouncers.

Spy Chameleon is far from amazing, but it was entertaining. The tight controls made it easy to enjoy the game, as errors usually my fault, and not the game's fault.