May 31, 2017

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Date played: May 30th
Platform: Switch

Breath of the Wild is starting to get it's hooks into me... It's weird, the game is similar to a lot of other open world adventure games, but it has a bit of a different philosophy. Usually, open world games litter the map with icons of things to do and places to go. Zelda is different, where the map doesn't show much except location names and the layout of the land. This means that it encourages real exploration a lot more than other games.

I found myself messing around in Hateno Village, speaking to everyone, visiting the shops and just walking around. After doing this for some time, I decided to take care of a side quest that required me to go to Hateno beach and kill 7 monsters there, who have been causing problems for a farm in Hateno Village.

I walked towards the beach, taking pictures and gathering items as I went. The view was spectacular, with the ocean nearby and lots of big hills and cliffs. I ran into some new enemies, found some new item types and fought monsters that were a little too strong for me.

The 7 monsters at the beach were not easy to kill. The group of Bokoblins and Moblins were much stronger than what I've fought so far. They had more health and more dangerously, stronger weapons. This also meant that I got to play with some new weapons, including a very reliable spear. One thing that's been bugging me a bit is that one handed weapons are kind of rare it seems. I much prefer them to two handed weapons, but I often have to resort to the latter due to the game's durability system.
Fighting at Hateno Beach
After clearing the beach of enemies, I went back to Hateno to turn in the quest, then went to Kakariko village to learn about the photo memories. It seems that I have 12 pictures in my album that were taken by Zelda herself back before Link was frozen in time. I must figure out a way to get to these locations based on the pictures to unlock "memories". I have a feeling it's gonna be pretty hard to find them.

I'm not sure what I want to do next, but I feel like I should probably start heading in the direction of a Divine Beast, though I'm sure I'll run into a ton of fun shit to do along the way.