May 9, 2017

Puyo Puyo Tetris demo

Date played: May 9th
Platform: Switch

I tried another Switch demo today, this time for Puyo Puyo Tetris. In this weird mashup game, the two iconic puzzle games are combined to make for some really cool multiplayer action. Unfortunately, I had to try it alone, but I still enjoyed what I played.
I lose to the green guy!
There's nothing ground-breaking here, it's still just Tetris and Puyo Puyo, but it's packaged really nicely. The mode I tried swaps between the two games at set intervals. The objective is to beat the CPU or Human opponents by making lines and blocks appear on their screen after clearing some of yours. It's a known quantity, but the beautiful art and great interface make it a pleasure to play.
I would love to play more of this, but it seems like it would really be enjoyable only in local multiplayer. I might pick it up when it's cheaper or something I guess.