May 10, 2017

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Date played: May 9th
Platform: Switch

A quick search on this blog will show that I've played a LOT of Mario Kart 8 when it first came out on Wii U. In fact, I've played a lot of Mario Kart in my life overall. I've told this story before, but Super Mario Kart is one of the games that sparked my love for both racing games and multiplayer games, when I played it against my brother in our basement during rainy days and cold winter days.

It's pretty rare that I buy a game twice, but this situation is a bit different. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a rerelease of the the Wii U original, which came out in 2014. It includes all of the base game plus DLC, as well as a few new characters and an apparently much improved battle mode. They've also added the ability to carry two items at once and a couple of new items. I've only messed around with the game a little bit, playing one single player GP and a few online races.
Mario Kart is back!
So far, this is the Mario Kart 8 I know and love, but now it's portable on Switch. It runs beautifully and looks stunning on the machine's great screen. The controls are perfect and everything is super polished. I now have to unlock all the parts for karts and stuff, so that's been fun. It also means I don't have my favorite kart combo yet, but I still only used Donkey Kong.

Online, I played rather well, placing on the podium a few times, but I didn't manage a victory. My worst performance was 6th out of 12, so not too bad. Having two items at once is really cool and makes for more action during a race.