May 11, 2017

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Date played: May 10th
Platform: Switch

I messed around some more with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe last night. I wanted to try out the new characters a little bit, so I completed a few single player GP's at 150cc. I played with Bowser Jr., Inkling Girl, King Boo and Dry Bones.

I'm usually not a fan of lighter characters, but Inkling Girl wasn't too bad. She seems to be about mid weight, similar to Mario and Luigi, but the reason I liked her is because of her amazing animations. As in Splatoon, Inkling Girl is a weird ass hybrid between a human and a squid. During tricks, she'll sometimes change shapes and show her cephalopodic form, which just looks really cool.
King Boo is one of the new characters
I had a good time with Dry Bones and Bowser Jr. also, but had to give them fast and heavy karts to get them to feel right. King Boo is definitely more my style, as he's even heavier than Donkey Kong. However, being a white ghost, he's kind of boring during races and doesn't show a lot of great animation like the others did. Still, I might use him once in a while.

I played online a few times too, but not too much. I did relatively well, though I did have one awful race where I placed 11th... I made the podium a few times, but mostly placed between 4th and 6th. I still haven't found the right kart and part combo, but I'm trying out different things, so we'll see.