May 15, 2017

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Date played: May 14th
Platform: Switch

Man, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a great game... Since buying the game, I find myself picking up my Switch way more often than before, even when I wasn't even planning on playing. Yesterday, I ended up playing it a few times, for pretty short periods each time.

I really spend all my time in the online race mode. Shit, I haven't even tried the brand new battle mode! I've been performing really well with Donkey Kong...  I also messed around with Lakitu in a heavy car, which worked really well but was a bit too light for my tastes.
Lakitu is a cutie!
I'm kind of surprised at how well I'm doing now actually. I think this will change with time as my ranking goes up, but right now, there's usually only 1 or 2 racers that pose a real threat in most lobbies. I'm usually in the top 3, but I've been winning more than usual.

I do best on tracks that allow for long drifts and don't have too many extreme corners, since my car is pretty fast, but it's also real heavy, so a succession of tight corners is hard to handle. I did end up in a challenging lobby for a few races. I'd say that about half the players in the lobby had a real chance at victory. They had good racing lines and were fast, which is a little bit unusual, at least from what I've played so far. I'm not complaining though because these were the most exciting races of the day, even if I struggled to break into the top 3. Hell, I felt good about a 6th place in that lobby!