May 22, 2017

Bound

Date played: May 21st
Platform: PS4

Bound has sort of become the game that I play with my daughter lately, and we played one level together yesterday. This was a fantastic level... In fact, I think it might have been my favorite level yet. As usual, it opens with the lady on the beach, reading her book. She's getting closer and closer to the beach house as it started raining. Then we jumped into the notebook for another fun level.

So somehow, something went bad and broken, infected by the nasty evil cubes that are seen throughout the game. I think it's the fault of the big guy with the blank face that I've been working with and against since the beginning of the game. He blames me for the mess, then runs away.
This level was jaw-dropping
It's all kind of non-sense, but it led to some really interesting platforming. Most of the level played with perspective a lot, reminiscent of an M.C. Escher painting. There was even some great use of doorways and stairs. Nothing in this game is ever difficult at all. There's a few spots that require precise jumping, but the whole thing is really forgiving. It's more like an experience than a challenge, which is pretty refreshing. It wouldn't be worth it in a regular game I think, but Bound's unique art style and clever use of perspective makes it interesting to play, even if it's easy as hell.

The story is revealing itself a little bit, slowly. In the scenes at the end of each level, there's more and more of the story of a family. The only thing I can make out of it so far is that something traumatic happened. I love Bound for it's amazing art style, abstract levels and great animation.