May 27, 2017

Day of the Tentacle Remastered

Date played: May 26th
Platform: PS4

I wanted to play something slow and relaxing late last night, so I booted up Day of the Tentacle. I still had a few ideas to move stuff forward, but none of what I was doing worked. You see, old adventure games like this are particularly inscrutable at times. I had to resort to a guide to progress unfortunately. Seriously... Here's one example from last night.

Mattresses, Rubber Mice and Cartoon Animals

1. As Hoagie, use mattress with bed
2. Use bed to make it squeak and distract nearby cat
3. Steal rubber mouse from distracted cat
4. Send rubber mouse to Laverne in the future through the time travelling toilet
5. Use Boo-Boo Be Gone lotion on fence
6. Scare black cat away to make him go under the fence
7. Cat now has appearance of skunk because he rubbed his back on the white creamy lotion when he crossed the fence
8. Lure cat-skunk hybrid with rubber mouse and put cat in pocket

I don't even know what to do with the cat-skunk hybrid yet! So playing this is super weird and kind of frustrating, but using a walkthrough is letting me enjoy the game's great sense of humor, well written dialogue and fun animations while still being able to progress without going nuts. And this was just one example of many!
Getting a safe combination by recording a sleepwalking scientist being arrested by the IRS. Yes, for real.

I put a horse to sleep by giving him a lecture, I dressed up a mummy to look nicer with some spaghetti hair, dentures and a fork, I recorded the professor's safe combination through a closed circuit television system, after making him sleepwalk by giving him decaf coffee. Basically, this whole game is insane and it's funny as hell to see the absurdity play out.