May 16, 2017

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Date played: May 15th
Platform: Switch

I played a few online races last night and for the first time, I was put into a lobby with people that had a higher skill rating than me, and it was really fucking obvious! Even the worst of racers in this group was powersliding efficiently and doing tricks on jumps. It was completely hectic and felt like anyone could win.
One of the 3 Rainbow Roads in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
I did pretty well, considering I was the lowest ranked player in the lobby. I had a few bad races, placing 10th or 11th, but I had a few good ones too. I had one victory against these guys, and it felt like I worked really hard for it, which made it that much more satisfying. Eventually, some players left and new players joined, lowering the overall skill in the lobby, and I began winning more.

Also, I feel like I'm doing a little bit better when I'm using my new Pro Controller, as the joystick is a bit more "solid" and the triggers are easier to press. I might need to look into a kart setup that has a bit more acceleration, but we'll see.