May 17, 2017

Day of the Tentacle Remastered

Date played: May 16th
Platform: PS4

I needed to play a slow ass game last night after a few hours of intense combat in Gears of War 4, so I spent some time with Day of the Tentacle Remastered. I did a lot of different things, but not too many that led to any results. One thing that I didn't quite understand the last time I played is that the game takes place in the same location for all three characters, but in different time periods. The building has almost the exact same layout in all time periods... This made it a lot easier to navigate and find my bearings. Laverne is still stuck in a tree

As Hoagie, I explored a little bit more and ended up having a conversation with George Washington. I learned that the man has a wooden denture and that he loves to chop down cherry trees. Now, he wouldn't go out and show me how good he is at chopping trees, because the only trees he chops are cherry trees, but the only trees in the area are Kumquat, which have yellow fruit. So obviously, I took some red paint and painted the kumquat fruit red. This was enough to fool the founding father and he chopped the tree down!

Cut to Laverne, stuck in a tree in the future. The tree disappears due to the chopping done by Washington and Laverne falls down on her ass, only to be immediately captured by a tentacle guard. It's obvious that in the future, the world has been taken over by the tentacles and that humans have been reduced to circus animals at best.
Laverne gets electrocuted trying to escape from her jail cell
I spoke with my cellmates a little bit, an old man and a couple that are playing cards. They weren't much help, so I had Laverne call out to the guard. One option has her complaining about stomach pains, the other about having to pee. This leads to opportunities to explore more than just a jail cell and to a lot of useful information. It became apparent that if I was going to make any progress in the future, I would need a tentacle costume! I found a pattern that details how to draw a tentacle guy, then sent it to Hoagie through the time travelling toilet.

Hoagie then gave it to a seamstress, who accidentally turned it into the nation's flag, replacing the iconic stars and stripes. Back in the future, Laverne simply had to tear off a flag from a pole and put it on like a shirt, and she now looked like a tentacle!

I did a lot more stuff, but this is what stands out the most. The situations presented in this game are so fucking ridiculous that I can't help but laugh out loud once in a while. I honestly wish there were more games with funny, silly writing like this. I mean, it's not stupid the same way that something like a children's TV show. It's stupid in a Leslie Nielsen kinda way, which is a very rare breed of comedy these days.